Prince Edward Island
The province Prince Edward Island (PEI) is located in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, and is separated from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick by the Northumberland Strait. PEI is Canada's smallest province, at 224 km long and width ranging from 4–60 km.1
The Micmac have lived on the island and surrounding region for at least 2,000 years, and the Micmac's ancestors occupied what is now PEI as far back as 10,000 years ago.2 Jaques Cartier was the first European to record sight of the island, and he made several landings upon its shores in 1534.3 The French settled there in the 1720s, calling it the Île St-Jean, and by 1748 the population was roughly 700.4
The island was ceded by the French to the British following the Treaty of Paris in 1763; the British then Anglicized its name to the Island of Saint John.5 The island became part of the Province of Nova Scotia until 1769, when a separate administration evolved.6 In 1799 the name of the colony changed to PEI, in honour of a son of King George III, who was stationed in Halifax at the time.7 PEI resisted Confederation until 1873, when, driven largely by financial need, it joined Canada.8
  • 1. S. Andrew Robb and H. T. Holman, Prince Edward Island, The Canadian Encyclopedia.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
  • 4. Ibid.
  • 5. Ibid.
  • 6. Ibid.
  • 7. Ibid.
  • 8. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Halifax

New Brunswick

Nova Scotia

The Colonial Despatches Team. Prince Edward Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/prince_edward_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)