Strait of Georgia
This 200 km long strait separates mainland southern British Columbia from Vancouver Island. From its start in the Gulf Islands in the south to its northernmost point, Cape Mudge on Quadra Island, the Strait of Georgia contains several clusters of smaller islands.
In 1791, Spanish naval officers called it the Gran Canal de Nuestra SeƱor del Rosario la Marinera, but in 1792, British Captain George Vancouver named it the Gulph of Georgia in honour of King George III, which was particularly jingoistic given strained relations between the Spanish and British, which would play out further in a meeting between Captains Quadra and Vancouver in Friendly Cove the same year.1
By 1858 its name changed officially to the Strait of Georgia, and now it is part of the Salish Sea, along with the Puget Sound and Juan de Fuca Strait.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 218.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Strait of Georgia. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/strait_of_georgia.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)