Thetis Island
Thetis Island is part of the Gulf Islands chain, off southeastern Vancouver Island. It is separated from Kuper Island, to the south, by a narrow, artificial canal called The Cut. Thetis Island was named after HMS Thetis—commanded by Captain Kuper during most of its life on the coast.1 This famous, or infamous, ship also gave names to Thetis Anchorage, Cove, and another Thetis Island.
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 588-589.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kuper, Augustus L.

Vessels in this document

HMS Thetis, 1846-55

Places in this document

Gulf Islands

Kuper Island

Thetis Island, in Esquimalt Harbour

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Thetis Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/thetis_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)