Kuper Island
Kuper Island is part of the Gulf Islands chain, off southeastern Vancouver Island. It is separated from Thetis Island to the north by a narrow, artificial canal called The Cut. Kuper Island draws its name from Captain Kuper, who was, among other Naval designations, commander of the HMS Thetis—a ship upon which he was sent to survey parts of Haida Gwaii for gold.1
The Penelakut First Nation had and have villages on Kuper Island, along with several locations in the surrounding region. According to the Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group website, the term Penelakut refers to all Hul'qumi'num people, who have historically lived on Kuper Island from time to time.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 105.
  • 2. Hul'qumi'num People, Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kuper, Augustus L.

Vessels in this document

HMS Thetis, 1846-55

Places in this document

Gulf Islands

Haida Gwaii

Thetis Island

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Kuper Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/kuper_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)